One year from now, where do you want to be?
I used to use my drive time to really think about the things that are important to me and make some plans. These days, I either have a podcast playing on the iPod or I’m chatting on the phone. And when I do take a few minutes to reflect, I think about the things I WISH I could do, rather than the things I can and will do.
One of my favorite quotes is, “A year from now, you’ll wish you had started today.” With that in mind, here are a few things I want to have accomplished by February 23, 2013:
1. I want to be able to say I’ve gone caving. My family is going to Arkansas in March, and that is the top activity I want to do while there. I am extremely claustrophobic and do not enjoy dark, enclosed spaces, so it will be a good way to force myself out of my comfort zone.
2. I want to have made at least one new friend or have solid plans to spend more time with my current friends. Friendships are so important and I’ve always admired how my mom has kept such amaing and long-lasting friendships in her life. I am lucky to have done so, also. But I have made very few new friends in the last five years, and I think that’s because I’m painfully self-conscious around new people. Time to change that–or at least to make more fun memories like this one with my fabulous current friends:
3. I want to have run a sub-40 5K. My first two were in the 43-minute range and I haven’t run a step since September. This one’s going to take dedication, but I KNOW I can do it.
4. I want to be under 200 pounds. I want this so badly it hurts. And the good news is that it’s within my control to make this happen….so it WILL. Assuming we don’t decide to move forward with having kids, that is.
5. I want to have written an article for a blog or web site other than my own. I love to write, and I want to improve significantly. It’s time to overcome my fear (Why would an industry publication want an article from me? What could I possibly add that they don’t already know?) and trust in my knowledge. Or better yet, maybe I can combine items 4 and 5 and write an article about my weight loss experience.
6. I want to be 11 months into CrossFit and going strong!
7. I want to have volunteered for at least one project. Remember my post a week or so ago that said I’d commit to a volunteer project within one week? I joined CrossFit instead. Once I have that schedule nailed down, I’ll add the volunteering.
Since seven is my lucky number, I’ll stop there. I’ll repost this list in six months to mark my progress and in one year to do a full report. I encourage you to make your own list and post your progress here! Let’s support each other, and let’s DO THIS.